Rose Cowles, Johnny Lee, Katherine Melanie
Jun 2 – July 17
About Rose Cowles
Rose Cowles paints because she can, and in her opinion there is nothing better than getting messy in the studio, losing track of time, and mucking about with a playful attitude, knowing that her trials and errors will often churn out the most amazing results. Cowles paints what she loves and prays along the way it will eventually all come together and translate a message of sincere joy, hope and gratitude through subject matter, words, colour, and glorious textures. Her passions are varied, however her desire to lift souls in a positive way is constant.
Rose Cowles is a Governor-General Award nominated Artist and has won many awards for both book illustration and and graphic design and has illustrated and painted on a full time basis out of her home based studio in Victoria BC for the past 25 yrs.
– Gilbert de la Frogponde” by Jennifer Rae
– Dog Tales” by Jennifer Rae
– I Know An Old Laddie” by Jean Little
– The Queen, The Bear and The Bumblebee” by Dini Petty
– The F Team” by Anne Laurel Carter
– The Mysterious You Series” with Kids Can Press
– The Amazing International Space Station” with Kids Can Press
– Puppies On Board” with Orca Books Publishing
– Science Detectives” with Kids Can Press
(Not all picture books are still in circulation)
– Recipient of two Silver Awards for illus. Studio Mag 1990
– Two Alcuin Awards for book cover design 1991 and 1997
– “GDC” Awards for book design and self promotion 1997
– Nominee for Governor-General Award (2000)
– Shortlist: 2003 Silver Birch Award
– Starred selection: Canadian Children’s Book Centre Our Choice 2003
– Starred selection: Red Cedar Book Awards 2002-03
– Shortlist: 2005 Silver Birch Award
– Red Cedar Book Awards 2006
– Red Cedar Book Awards (2) 2008-09
– Peoples Choice award for 2D art in the International Women’s Day Show through the Victoria Arts Council 2017
– Peoples Choice Award and Best in Show through the Victoria Art Councils “LOOK”show for 2D 2017
About Johnny Lee
Honoring the gift I was given, I draw in detail believing anything worth doing well takes patience, commitment and time. I choose realism, because for me it is a lot more challenging than doodling from my imagination. Chosen subjects evolve from memories I have as a boy.
A mother’s story of her ancestry coupled with the impact a grandfather had on this boy still today. The act of illustrating gives me peace, stillness, freedom, sense of accomplishment, purpose and pride. It allows me to exit the conceptual make believe reality of society and enter a place where time, meaning, rules and logic do not exist.
I am humbled of how nature can channel creativity through a body to a page. Drawing is in my nature and may I never take it for granted.
About Katherine Melanie
I was born an artist and have developed my skills through various courses and valuable instruction.
My journey began in Winnipeg, Manitoba where I studied still life drawing, calligraphy, sculpture and Life Model drawing at the Winnipeg Art Gallery. I was fourteen years old.
Advertising Art Program at Red River College, where along with various classes I first studied photography. This was 1981, and film cameras were in use then. Working in a dark room with developer, fixer and water processing and enlarging machines was very exciting.
Art History at University of Manitoba.
I had the pleasure to teach photography at the Stz’uminus College, Ladysmith B.C.
I am a mother of two wonderful children who I draw much inspiration from the past 21 years.
I have had a career in dentistry for over 28 years.
Artists draw attention to details in life that sometimes are overlooked and make beauty out of nothing at all.
I am focusing on three exhibits at this time. They are all composed of digital photography and are capturing my heart through vision of our valuable elements of life.
Land Air Water
The pieces available in the Chemainus Theatre gallery now are part of my Land and Air series. Hope you enjoy the journey!
Leave A Comment