Our 25th Season Begins With A Celebrated Classic.
As we began our twenty-fifth season, the notion of legacy was firmly in our minds. But not just our own history here in the Chemainus community, and in Canada’s theatre scene. We were caught up in the question of why certain stories have become timeless – in the way that today’s show, Pride and Prejudice, has become a celebrated classic.
Since Jane Austen’s story was published over 200 years ago, it has inspired millions of people. Readers and audiences have enjoyed the original work (and many adaptations), while artists of all varieties have used its themes to create countless derivatives in a variety of media.
Fortunately, as we directed, rehearsed, and produced this adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, we discovered some secrets behind the story’s far-reaching fondness:
Nothing (much) has changed. Although our physical world is radically different, the essence of human nature is enduring. Two centuries have passed since its writing and yet we can easily relate to the influences of wealth, manners, and social class on our culture.
- Good drama is addictive. A scheming plot that’s told in intelligent conversation will always bring us back for another hit.
- Everyone knows an Austen character (or two). Maybe a social climbing mother, silly sister, maverick change agent, haughty love interest, or buffoonish cousin? You’re sure to recognize a familiar face.
- Some snark and clever irony makes for an especially delightful kind of humour.
- Nostalgia for country life in Regency times makes a charming way to escape to the past.
- Love has always been wonderfully complicated.
Pride and Prejudice is a phenomenon for these reasons and more. We hope you’ll enjoy this performance and the many more experiences we have for you during our 25th Anniversary Season. Like this classic story, we hope to create a legacy of theatre that you remember fondly, and repeat often.
Book Your Tickets
Book online or call the box office now to book your tickets! 1-800-565-7738