JOB DESCRIPTION – Assistant Carpenter
The Assistant Carpenter is responsible to the Head Carpenter for the assistance in construction and installation of the scenic elements for Chemainus Theatre Festival’s season. The Assistant Carpenter will take direction from the Head Carpenter, to ensure the artistic vision of the artistic team, director and designers are met, while maintaining safe work practices and following practices in accordance with WCB, Worksafe BC, CAEA and Theatrical Industry standards. Chemainus Theatre Festival boasts a 3500 square foot outfitted shop with full amenities, in a quiet seaside town of 3900 on Vancouver Island.
- College or university degree or diploma in Theatre Production with experience in the Set Shop or equivalent Carpentry experience.
SKILLS & SPECIFICATIONS
- Broad knowledge of construction tools and products. Knowledge of theatrical procedures an asset.
- Ability to both work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to take direction.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to read technical drawings.
- Ability to work at heights.
- Preference may be given to persons holding additional certificates, including: WHIMIS, Occupational First Aid, BC Driver’s License, LPEC, Firearms certificate.
- An enthusiasm for live theatre.
This is a part-time position, with hours that fluctuate from minimal to full-time when builds are underway. Will work around schedules for the right candidate.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT
Friday, November 16, 2018
Nicole Lamb – Production Manager
Chemainus Theatre Festival
9574 Bare Point Road, Bag 1000
Chemainus BC V0R 1K5
Keep buildings in clean and orderly condition. Perform heavy cleaning duties, such as cleaning floors, shampooing rugs, washing walls and glass, and removing rubbish. Duties may include notifying management of need for repairs, and cleaning snow or debris from sidewalk.
• Ability to lift heavy objects
• Ability to think clearly while under pressure and work in a very fast-paced environment
• Strong attention to detail
The successful applicant will be available to work variable shifts including weekends, evenings, and day shifts. Training for this position will begin as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Attn: Damion Knight, Facilities Manager.
We thank all applicants however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.