The Chemainus Theatre Festival is a not-for-profit professional theatre company located on Vancouver Island with a mandate to serve the Island and its visitors by creating exceptional theatre that explores and nourishes truth, hope, redemption, love and the human spirit. Since opening the doors to its 274 seat venue in 1993, annual attendance has grown from 14,000 to over 80,000 patrons per season. The theatre owns and operates its performance facility along with its production centre and office buildings.
Playbill Dining Room – Kitchen Expeditor
Position reports to Manager/Executive Chef
Food Expeditor responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the efficient flow of orders from the waiters to the kitchen
- Ensuring orders are being prepared with the correct priority
- Assisting in the final preparation of dishes
We are looking for a competent Food expeditor to help keep a smooth workflow between the kitchen and the tables. You will work in a fast-paced environment to get proper orders out faster and more efficiently.
As a food expeditor, you must have excellent communication skills and experience in a restaurant’s hectic setting. You must have enough stamina to be in constant motion and skills to coordinate and organize processes and people. The goal is to make service faster and better to help enhance our quality and reputation.
- Ensure the efficient flow of orders from the waiters to the kitchen
- Ensure orders are being prepared with the correct priority
- Assist in the final preparation of dishes
- Check dishes before delivery for accuracy, presentation and temperature
- Deliver orders to maintain fast service
- Eliminate obstacles in service, food preparation lines or dishwashing
- Inspect the premises according to quality and sanitation standards and assist in cleaning
- Transfer important information between the kitchen and the wait staff (e.g. when a customer has a particular request)
- Handle complaints from clients to preserve the restaurant’s reputation
- Support other tasks as needed (e.g. telephone orders)
- Proven experience as food expeditor or other restaurant position
- Understanding of health and safety rules in a restaurant
- Dexterity in using kitchen equipment or utensils and carry heavy trays
- Well-organized and able to lead and direct people
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Outstanding coordination and multi-tasking abilities
- A customer-oriented approach
- Great physical endurance
- High school diploma; Higher degree in hospitality or relevant field will be appreciated
- Food handling certification may be required according to legal regulations
We appreciate all applicants however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.