Head of Props
The Chemainus Theatre Festival is seeking a part-time, permanent Head of Props to join our team. Reporting to the Production Manager, the Head of Props is responsible for the acquisition and adaptation of all props as prescribed by a production’s rehearsal period, following practices in accordance with Worksafe BC and theatrical industry standards.
The position’s duties include: the buying/ building/ adapting props as prescribed by the production, compiling pre-production props lists, managing/ balancing prop budgets, advising the Production Manager when a prop may need to be outsourced, on-going communication with stage management teams & directors about prop statuses, prop maintenance, managing/ inventorying/ organizing props stock, rentals.
College or university degree or diploma in Theatre Production or equivalent experience.
A minimum of two years’ professional theatre experience, as well as experience working in textiles, plastics, sculpture, woodwork, metalwork, etc.
Skills & Specifications:
- Excellent time management.
- Broad knowledge of theatrical procedures, tools and products.
- Comprehensive knowledge of theatrical building practices in soft goods, paper, wood, metal and other materials.
- Ability to interpret technical drawings.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Able to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Preference will be given to persons holding additional certificates, including: WHMIS, Occupational First Aid Level I, LPEC, Firearms certificate, Welding.
Commensurate with experience.
Start Date: Negotiable.
Application Deadline: until filled.
(Application by email is preferred, with Subject Line “Application for Head of Props”)
Nicole Lamb – Production Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to:
Nicole Lamb – Production Manager
Chemainus Theatre Festival
9574 Bare Point Road
Chemainus, BC V0R 1K5