About the Position: The ATD / Head of Props will play a key role in the production team at the Chemainus Theatre Festival with a specific focus on Props. The ATD / Head of Props will work closely with two other ATD positions and may provide support or coverage to some of their duties as necessary. The ATD / Head of Props will work to ensure the artistic vision of the director and design team is realized on stage while maintaining safe work practices for all production crews, following practices in accordance with WorkSafe BC, CAEA and Theatrical Industry standards. We encourage applicants of all skill levels to apply and are willing to work with the right candidate to continue their training and develop their craft over time.
Term Details: Term of January 30-December 30, 2023. Start date could be later for the right candidate. $23.50 per hour plus 4% vacation pay for up to 1,650 hours.
- Work with the production staff and the design team to coordinate the execution of all props and support the execution of other scenic elements.
- Acquire (buy/rent/build) and adapt all props as prescribed by a production’s rehearsal period & script, following practices in accordance with WorkSafe BC and theatrical industry standards.
- Compile pre-production props lists.
- Oversee show specific props budgets.
- Manage time and resources to identify and fulfill props deadlines and builds.
- Advise the Technical Director when a prop may need to be outsourced.
- Communicate with stage management & directors about prop statuses.
- Maintain props throughout the run of the show or delegate as required.
- Manage/ inventory/ organize props stock.
- Manage/ inventory/ organize the scene shop for use by renters and set builders.
- Have a broad knowledge of theatrical procedures, tools and products.
- Have a comprehensive knowledge of theatrical building practices in soft goods, paper, wood, metal and other materials.
- Interpret technical drawings.
- Support the strike, install and/or maintenance of mainstage, studio or Playbill productions.
- Have a working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office.
- Communicate effectively both in person and in writing.
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team.
- Maintain a valid Driver’s License.
- Support and mentor new and young workers, students and job shadow placements.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Attend production meetings, design meetings and staff check ins as applicable.
- Will take part in the transporting or arranging for the transportation of sets and props.
- Advise the TD or PM of any problems that threaten productivity, morale, safety, or budgets.
- Make recommendations to the TD or PM of equipment or systems that could improve safety, productivity, or production values.
- Coordinate any borrowed or rented equipment, scenery, props, or special effects.
- Support for other technical departments as needed such as lighting hang, lighting focus, sound equipment installs etc.
- Support with general annual theatre maintenance as required.
To Apply: Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter detailing their interest and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org with the heading “Head of Props” or send by mail to Search, Chemainus Theatre Festival, 9574 Bare Point Road, Bag 1000, Chemainus, BC, V0R 1K0. Positions will remain open until filled. We thank all who apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.