Head of Lighting / Assistant Technical Director
About the Position: The ATD / Head of Lighting is a full-time term position and will play a key role in the production team at the Chemainus Theatre Festival with a specific focus on Lighting. The ATD / Head of Lighting will work closely with two other ATD positions and may provide support or coverage to some of their duties as necessary. The ATD / Head of Lighting will work to ensure the artistic vision of the director and design team is realized on stage while maintaining safe work practices for all production crews, following practices in accordance with WorkSafe BC, CAEA and Theatrical Industry standards. We encourage applicants of all skill levels to apply and are willing to work with the right candidate to continue their training and develop their craft over time.
Term Details: Term of January 30-December 30, 2023. Start date could be later for the right candidate. $23.50 per hour plus 4% vacation pay for up to 1,650 hours.
- Work with the production staff and the design team to coordinate the execution of all show-specific lighting needs.
- Compile pre-production lighting equipment lists.
- Oversee show-specific lighting budgets.
- Ability to work comfortably at heights.
- Manage/ inventory/ organize lighting equipment.
- Support the strike, install and/or maintenance of mainstage, studio or Playbill productions.
- Have a working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office.
- Proficient knowledge of LX consoles. Proficient knowledge of QLab an asset.
- Communicate effectively both in person and in writing.
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team.
- Maintain a valid Driver’s License.
- Support and mentor new and young workers, students and job shadow placements.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Attend production meetings, design meetings and staff check ins as applicable.
- Advise the TD or PM of any problems that threaten productivity, morale, safety, or budgets.
- Make recommendations to the TD or PM of equipment or systems that could improve safety, productivity, or production values.
- Coordinate any borrowed or rented equipment.
- Monitor and assist with all aspects of pre-production as it relates to lighting.
- Operate lighting for studio or Playbill productions as needed. This includes working evenings and weekends in line with 2023 mainstage and cabaret series calendars.
- Assist Lighting Designers with respective designs and requirements
- Manage maintenance of lighting equipment or advise the Technical Director when maintenance requires outsourcing.
- Documenting and tracking of all show-related configuration in cooperation with designers
- Submit inventory and budget updates for each mainstage show and for the Playbill Presents cabaret series.
- Support for other technical departments as needed such as sound and video install, band install, set transport and install etc.
- Support with general annual theatre maintenance as required.
To Apply: Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter detailing their interest and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org with the heading “Head of Lights” or send by mail to Search, Chemainus Theatre Festival, 9574 Bare Point Road, Bag 1000, Chemainus, BC, V0R 1K0. Positions will remain open until filled. We thank all who apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.