The Production Assistant will help behind-the-scenes in the facilitation of Chemainus Theatre Festival’s production department, contributing to productions and events that enrich the arts & culture of the community. The Production Assistant will report to the Production Manager and Technical Director, and would be responsible for: assisting in the Set, Costume, Props, Paint shops and Technical areas of the theatre, for production requirements throughout the Winter projects. The candidate’s specific area of interest will be taken into consideration, and the position tailored to weight the work towards these areas of interest. The Production Manager, Technical Director and the candidate will sculpt the position duties to suit the candidate’s skill set and interests.
Chemainus Theatre is grateful for Canada Summer Jobs funding that enables this position. Other duties and responsibilities will include:
- Maintain or improve the high quality of production values on the Chemainus Theatre stage.
- Fulfill all responsibilities in a manner consistent with the Chemainus Theatre Festival’s mission statement, and company policies and procedures.
- Monitor own work schedule and hours in consultation with the Production Manager.
- Ensure that the artistic vision of the artistic team is realized on stage.
- Participate in the necessary communication in the form of verbal instructions, supervision, meetings and hands-on activities in order to effect the build, installation, painting, furnishing and finishing of all technical aspects of the production that includes, but is not limited to: set construction and painting, lighting installation, sound installation, projection installation and props procurement and construction, as required by production projects.
- Advise the Production Manager of any problems or concerns that might arise during the construction, installation or rehearsal process of the project.
- Attend production meetings as well as other company meetings relevant to the project.
- Assist in the transport or arrange transportation of sets and large props items.
- Facilitate any repairs required to scenery, props, costumes or other production elements after opening night.
- Performing technical duties or backstage assistance for the fall’s presentations.
- Assisting the Technical Director in assessment of Preliminary Designs for fall productions.
- Program and operate lighting board, sound computer and all other machinery and/or equipment as required for each production.
- Act as both a crew member and a crew leader in production set-up, tech, performances and strike.
- Maintain, repair, service, and operate in-house technical equipment, props and set in the theatre as required.
- Perform any and all other duties as required in consultation with Production Manager.
- Creation or implementation of digital media and the manipulation of digital media to convey succinct ideas/ stories, including but not limited to photography, video recording, editing, encoding and such-like.
Additional Information: Send your resume to Production Manager, Chemainus Theatre Festival, 9574 Bare Point Road, Bag 1000, Chemainus, BC V0R 1K0 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the heading “Production Assistant – Winter”.
Deadline: Preferred start date is Sept 28, 2021. Hourly wage of $16.50. CTF thanks all candidates for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.