The Chemainus Theatre Festival is a favourite theatre destination for over 65,000 patrons each year. Established in 1993, it is one of the main cultural venues on Vancouver Island and is renowned for intimate, live and polished plays, with professional directors, designers and actors from across North America.
Executive Chef & Hospitality Manager
The Chemainus Theatre Festival strives to enrich the lives of Vancouver Island residents and their visitors through providing a memorable ‘Chemainus Theatre Experience.’
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Executive Chef & Hospitality Manager will seek to foster the ‘Chemainus Theatre Experience’ by managing the kitchen and dining room to ensure excellent quality food and patron service.
Objectives and Areas of Responsibility:
- Foster the ‘Chemainus Theatre Experience’ by ensuring an excellent dining experience in the Playbill Dining Room.
- Provide overall direction to food services and the Playbill Dining Room, and ensure the highest levels of quality, creativity and professionalism are sought and maintained throughout.
- Ensure the Playbill Dining Room is always presented at its very best.
- Ensure that the buffet is excellent quality, visually appealing and themed to the Theatre’s mainstage production.
- Achieve sales targets for food and beverage.
- Achieve budgeted labour costs, food costs and profitability.
- Focus on local and sustainable food sources.
- Provide on site supervision and direction to employees/ volunteers in the following areas:
- Playbill Dining Room
- Facilitate any catering events or rentals of dining room by external parties or internal departments and liaison with the same.
- Participate on the society management team, as directed.
- Work with management to promote a healthy, active and caring internal community to be enjoyed by staff, volunteers and ultimately the patrons.
- Conduct all the above in a manner in keeping with company mandate.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a professional kitchen, preferably for a buffet fine dining restaurant in a lead role.
- Certification or diploma from an accredited culinary or food services program – Red Seal preferred.
- Excellent knowledge in MS Office, in particular Excel & Word.
- Management and leadership experience running a large-scale kitchen operation, including labour management, food costing and inventory management
- An impressive repertoire and a flair for creating new and innovative menus and plating techniques.
- Mature, dependable, organized, professional, well-groomed and able to work under pressure.
- Must have own transportation and a valid driver’s license.
The Executive Chef & Hospitality Manager is a full-time salaried management position with a potential three week lay-off during the annual shut-down following the close of the Theatre’s Christmas production. This position is eligible for full company benefits, following successful completion of the mandatory three month probation. Details per work schedule to be finalized with the Managing Director.
Interested persons are encouraged to apply to:
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you.